This is search engine optimization tip number twenty three in our continuing series of search engine optimization tips. All of our search engine optimization tips are meant to be specific, they should not take too much time to review (to make sure that you are following the search engine optimization best practices), and will be rather “short and sweet” and directly to the point. In fact, this search engine optimization tip is pretty simple: issue a press release whenever warranted.
Not following along with our Search Engine Optimization Tips? Our last last two search engine optimization tips were about link building using coupons and understanding redirects and the type of redirects you can use to direct traffic to your site or to another site if you change your site’s location or a page’s location (its URL).
This search engine optimization tip is most likely something that we all forget to do: issue a press release. Writing a press release about your business or about your web site does not have to be that difficult. In fact, you can even look at press release web sites that have archives of press releases to get ideas about what to write about. Or you can search for a press release on your topic: and then see what they previously wrote to get some ideas about how press releases are typically written.
Many companies issue press releases on a regular basis. And if you’re using a press release distribution service like AddPR.com or PR Web or even PR Newswire, there’s a good chance that it will be included on lots of other web sites, including Google News. And if you’re really lucky then your press release will be seen by a reporter or journalist looking to write on your press release’s topic.
There are a few good places to learn about how to write a search engine optimized press release including this article and especially this search engine optimization press release article. The best thing you can do is to put your major keywords in the title of the press release and include links to your web site’s interior pages (perhaps some product pages, if appropriate).
There are several reasons that you might issue a press release. There’s a great blog post here that lists 55 reasons, including:
- Announce a new service.
- Announce a new product.
- Tie in with a national holiday, a birthday or anniversary.
- Report a new study of your own and your analysis or forecast.
- Tie in with a controversy by commenting on it.
So, if you want to get a few more on-topic links to your web site then consider issuing a press release or having someone write one for you. Submit it to the proper press release distribution web sites and don’t forget to add it to your own site first.
Our other SEO Tips:
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 36: How to Remove a Page from Google
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 35: Use the Google Wonder Wheel
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 34: Find the Best Page for Your Keyword
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 33: Find Deep Links to a Web Site
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 32: Focus on Keywords that Convert
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 31: Use SEO Friendly URLs
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 30: Promote Those Who Link To You
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 29: 404 Errors
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 28: The Canonical Tag
- Search Engine Optimization Tip 27: Expand Your Best Website Content
Need more help? Learn More about our SEO Audit Service